Tuesday, May 22, 2007

convenient truths


I had a break from Smiley-Mart tonight, so I decided to so something unsual. I went out and had a life. A friend and I wandered over to a psychic (the day job is in south Austin, right on the fringes of east Austin - you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a psychic, a hippie or a Mexican restaurant) and then we had margaritas.

Tarot and Tequila Tuesdays. If I had the money, I think I'd make this a weekly thing.

Anyway, because I am a child of the 80's, everything the psychic read in my cards made sense to me. Of course, when I cut the cards, I was thinking about Jef (and no, I didn't tell her that - that sort of negates the whole deal (deal! get it?)) I have lost my punctuation, what with the margaritas and the double quotes, so I'm just going to start here, in the middle, and fuck Garner's up the hole.

Ok, so. All the cards that had to deal with my past were very negative. It was the devil card and a guy lying on his back with an assload of swords stuck in him (hi mom! help??) I was told that while there was love in that relationship once, I needed to put all that behind me.

Well, duh.

Everything in my present pointed to me being veryvery busy, not taking care of myself, having a lot on my plate, worrying too much, but having a lot of opportunities soon and if I have faith and strenghth, it will all work out.

Now, look - I can hear Jane's eye muscles ripping from here, what with all the rolling they're doing, so listen up. I am not so naive to believe that the cards led themselves to me or that she could actually read my mind or blah blah blee. I also know that telling people in nice work clothes, coming from downtown at 5:30 that they have a lot on their plate and they have opportunities coming up is a pretty safe blanket statement. OK? OK. May I continue??

Then she told me that everything looked rosy and wonderful for me and my current relationship and asked if his name started with a "J." Again, not so naive that I don't realize that a LOT of men's names start with "J", but still, y'know.

Even if it was convenient bullshit, I haven't been to my therapist in a while and it was around the same price as going to see her and it made me think about some of the same things - where have I been? Am I hanging on to old injuries too much? Where am I now? What the fuck am I doing here? Where am I going? Is it where I'm supposed to be?

The cards, however full of shit they may be, say I'm doing OK. So I think I'll listen for the time being.

It also helped that SuperGirl picked up the tab for the 'ritas.

And according to my palm, there was something major, like life-threatening when I was a baby...mom???

1 comment:

Crazy Cat Lady in the Making said...

Actually, the Ten of Swords--for that is the card of which you speak--in the standard Waite-Rider Deck (the Lovers you have shown are from that deck), shows a man with ten swords in his back. You say it appeared in your past, Most likely it represents bottoming out, hitting rock bottom, when one disaster follows another, a feeling of devastation. When you see this card, feel certain that the last knife has been cast at you and you can expect a turn for the better. It can also represent the victim mentality or being a martyr: putting your own interests last, being self-deprecating, feeling like a doormat, taking a back seat, letting others go first, sacrificing (sounds familiar to me....). If it appeared with the Hanged Man or the Eight of Swords, these could reinforce the "others before self" or the powerlessness represented by the man who stabbed himself in the back....10 times (why does that remind me of "Chicago"?).

Strangely enough, tarot cards are often more accurate than the average person cares to admit...combined with some very well-practiced good guesses :)

And yes, when you were about 18 months old, you had roseola, a urinary infection and I think strep throat all at the same time. You ran a horrible fever, stopped eating and D-mama took care of you while I worked, she trickled fluids down your throat and, although I was oblivious in those days, I believe it was, in fact quite a dire time for you.